Officials from Southeastern Regional Medical Center (SRMC) are advising patients who need medical care but who are not experiencing an emergency or life-threatening illness to consider seeking care from places other than the medical center’s emergency room.
“We are treating very high volumes of patients seeking care from our emergency department, many for conditions that could be treated in a setting which is more appropriate such as an urgent care center or their primary care physician’s office, where patients could be treated quicker with less expense for the patient,” said SRMC President/CEO Joann Anderson.
Southeastern offers several alternatives to the emergency room for care including Southeastern Urgent Care Lumberton, Southeastern Urgent Care Pembroke, and The Clinic at Walmart.
“Patients who are experiencing emergencies will continue to get exceptional care through our emergency room,” said Dr. John Reed, medical director for Southeastern’s Emergency Department. “However, it is those patients who could be treated appropriately at other types of medical clinics who experience long waits and become frustrated with the emergency department process. We hope to steer these patients in a direction that is more appropriate for their medical condition.”
In recent days, Southeastern also has seen an increase in the number of patients who are testing positive for the influenza virus. According to the medical center’s infection control department, 63 patients have tested positive for influenza over the past 11 days.
“According to the CDC, flu activity has increased substantially nationwide,” said Infection Control Specialist Dr. Obiefuna Okoye. “It has reached a national baseline level in some areas and it is strongly recommended that those who have not received the flu vaccine should do so immediately.”
Southeastern’s primary care and urgent care clinics, as well as The Clinic at Walmart and Southeastern Mobile Medical, offer influenza vaccinations. Many locations also accept walk-in patients or patients without an appointment. For a complete listing of facilities and phone numbers, logon to www.srmc.org.
- 12/31/2012 - Introducing Southeastern Health
- 12/13/2012 - Southeastern Health limits visitors due to increase in flu cases
- 12/10/2012 - Gala to fund anesthesia equipment upgrade
- 12/05/2012 - SRMC breaks ground for Southeastern Health Park Phase I
- 12/05/2012 - Ribbon is cut for SRMC Foundation in its new location
- 12/03/2012 - Wieties named VP of provider network
- 11/07/2012 - Ribbon cut for new medical/rehab clinic in Gray’s Creek
- 11/01/2012 - Ribbon cut for new Red Springs clinic
- 10/26/2012 - SRMC Receives Pulmonary Excellence Award from Healthgrades
- 10/11/2012 - Mammography Day