THE GRIEF EXPERIENCE
Everyone deals with grief in a different way. A child is no exception. Children, due to their age, limited experiences and lack of coping skills, may find the grief process very difficult.
Bereavement Weekend Experience for Children
Southeastern Hospice will hold Camp Care Bereavement Weekend Experience for Children as a way for children to find support, especially from others their own age who have experienced similar losses.
The camp offers recreational programming as well as grief related activities. This will include crafts and games.
Grief related activities are experienced in small groups where the children will be encouraged to express themselves through arts and crafts, as well as stories and mementos of the deceased.
A Positive Step
Camp Care is an experience where children learn, in a safe and caring environment, that their feelings are normal and an important part of the healing process.
Southeastern Hospice staff members and volunteers supervise the camp. They are specially trained to work with children who have lost loved ones. Southeastern Hospice hopes the camp will be a positive step for children as they explore, and findexpression for, the grief they are experiencing.
Camp Care Schedule
- WHO: Any child, age 8-16, who is grieving over the death of a significant person in his/her life. The children will attend a weekend of activities starting on Friday, May 17, and ending on Sunday. The camp is not restricted to children in families served by Southeastern Hospice. However, priority in selection of applicants will be given to children associated with Southeastern Hospice patients.
- WHAT: A camp experience for children who have experienced the death of a significant person.
- WHEN: May 16-18, 2014
- WHERE: Camp Monroe, Laurel Hill, NC
- WHY: An opportunity for youth to interact with and gain support from peers experiencing grief. COST: $20.00 per Participant. Some scholarships may be available. Inquiries may be made at (910) 671- 5031.
- The Registration Deadline is on April 25, 2014 at Southeastern Hospice located at 2002 North Cedar Street Lumberton, NC 28358